Tuesday 5 February 2013

Back In Business! 24 Hour Session.

                After weeks of not catching, I thought that my best bet to get a bite was to get on the reservoir for a night whilst the pressure is still low, not forgetting when it is empty as well. I managed to get down to the reservoir at around 11am, I was greeted with a few cars in the car park, after a quick mill around and a quick update on catches from the bailiff I find myself barrowing the gear to  a decent peg which I have liked since day one. I made way to the lake with a spod mix in mind but unsure of whether to use it or not, in the end I bit the bullet and put some bait out, I put out 15 spombs of the mix and set about thinking what I want to present over the top of it, the one thing that sprung to mind was the snowman presentation featured in last week’s blog. That went straight on the left rod, a Velocity Baits 14mm NV-R Bottom bait and a Velocity Baits 10mm Pink Shelfish popup.  
 

Adding the New V-Cloud to the Mix(Still Under Test)

                After dispensing the mix of – Bird Seed, Sweetcorn, Halved NV-R Boilies, (New) V-Cloud Powder, NV-R Stick Mix and some NV-R glug I set about presenting two rods over the top. Before all of the baiting up I clipped up my left rod at around 9 ¾ wraps around the sticks which is about 39 yards, it seems short but I was happy that I was clipped up just before the shelf drop off. I then clipped up the right rod at the same, however, I got the spomb set up on my spod rod and I clipped this up at 9 wraps, the reason I did this is when the rigs with the leads are cast to the spots, they fall towards you, and knowing I’m fishing in roughly 10ft of water this left me a reasonable margin to get the rods on the money.
The Finished Mix, Caused a Massive Cloud in the Water.
                The left rod was the first to go out on the spot, hitting the clip first time. The second rod was a chod rig with a 16mm Pineapple popup on my usual preferred method, this was also cast on the spot in hope the pop-up was on the near edge of the baited patch.
The Chod Rig(Please Click if You
Can't See It)
                I had the rods in up until 3pm and made the decision to recast and put some more bait out across the top and freshen the hookbait and put a fresh bag on, 5 more spombs topped up the spot and the rigs repositioned, I left the rods in up until the evening again refreshing the bags and hookbaits. I was sat scanning the water whilst waiting a month of Sundays for my cooker to boil the kettle so I could have a nice hot cup of tea. After all this it wasn’t completely dark so I could still have some gauge on movement, throughout the evening up until 8:30 I spotted two fish crash on and behind the spot which left me in confidence of putting a fish on the bank.
3 Baits Which Have Done Well For Me - Corn, Particle Mix and
NV-R Boilies.
                9:00pm soon came round, half in a doze, I am awoken to my siren belting out a twitchy one toner... I’M IN! A good battle with a wiley carp which first I thought was a pike, where it was thrashing its head around so much, I slid the net under a stunning low double common weighing 13lb 5oz.  All the mat and weigh gear was sorted out, the desired presentation had nailed the common, she wasn’t coming off! I set up the self-take gear, which I set up straight away with some testing before hand in the garden, a few fruitless pictures later I managed to get a good shot of me cradling her. It made it so much better as I hadn’t caught on the reservoir since November, so this capture was a good ember to the fire.
13lb 5oz of Pure Gold Common, First Time Self Take.
                I slipped her back in the weigh sling and returned her safely. I then had a beaming smile on my face and set about getting the rod back out which was done effortlessly with a head torch. A fresh hook bait and mesh bag, I wrapped the 9 ¾ turns round the sticks and got the rod back on the money in hope for some action later on in the night. An hour passed and an odd occurrence on the left hand rod which had be sat bolt upright on the bed chair, nothing unfolded so a fresh bag was soon put back out. As I lay gazing out across the lake, the heavens opened and the wind began to howl across the lake, at times was a bit hair raising but I was fine tucked under my brolly in my sleeping bag. As the rain continued pouring, the rod I had recast melted off very slowly, as I lifted the rod there was an odd resistance, as I got the fish in the margins, it was a bream of 3-4lb which was unhooked and put back straight away.

The Bait That Did Well For Me!

                With the rain still pouring it made it a bit of a pain trying to get the rod back out or set round the bank sticks, so a blind cast was made and I was sure it was near as dammit.
                The night moved on and only line bites to show through the night, I was still really happy with what I would be going away with, it saves a blank and adds the first (hopefully of many) to the list of captures to follow, maybe night sessions instead of days on the reservoir may be the pick of cards, but we’ll see how time gets on. Once waking at 9am I fired up the stove and got the kettle on and had a nice hot cup of tea before packing up the barrow to set for home.
                This session has added a good buzz, I will be returning hopefully on another overnighter.  
Thank You for Reading!
Ross.
Follow Me On Twitter - @Rosst93

No comments:

Post a Comment