Sunday 3 February 2013

A Return to the Reservoir!



            After spending a week or so at home with not visiting the reservoir, it is about time I got back down there. The first reason is to get out the house, and second reason, I haven’t fished there for a while. After ordering new tackle, a new bag and a new neat tackle box, I had a selection of rigs tied up which gave me the buzz a bit more. I had spoken to a few anglers before making the drive down there and have a look around. 
A Good Winter Combination When Coupled With Glugs!
            I got down to the lake to find a van in the car park, the lake was frozen over but I still had a walk round to lay out which swims I’m more likely to go to, if the lake is busy and any other swims I fancied, providing I hadn’t seen any fish in the meantime. In some ways it may have been a wasted journey? Definitely not as I wanted to see the state of play in terms of the ice which was over an inch thick.
            After a friend kindly taking me down to the Brentwood carp show, after reacquainting with some friend and contacts, I got my hands on some new bobbins to carry on my tackle tartness ha-ha!
            I managed to compile some advice on which is the best method to use through the winters, which were zigs. Some people may say “what’s the point they’ll be on the bottom!” this isn’t entirely true; in the water you have a thermocline layer which is the changeover of warm to cold water. With all the ice sinking, the temperature may be all over the place so there may not necessarily be a warmer layer at the top.
Always Tight Lines When Using Zigs.
            The zigs sit in the warmer water which the carp, albeit cold blooded, they will sit in the warmer layers hence why the zigs are just as effective in the winter months that in the summer months, this is the plan of attack which will more often than not be going out on at least one rod unless the fish are respond well to zigs up in the layers.
            I got down to the lake later than planned however, I had a whole days fishing on my hands being able to stay as late as I’d like to. I went for the religious lap round the lake chatting to the local anglers, although there was only one on, and looking for signs of fish, I didn’t see anything but going on previous information I got on the back of the wind which sometimes pays off on some of my fishing as it did a few months ago on the same bank I have got the rods out on at the moment.
            I got 2 rods out quickly, both on zigs cast to around 14ft of water fishing between 3 and 6ft up from the lake bed with hook baits glugged in the Velocity Baits NV-R liquid, this is a good tactic for fishing for bigger fish or on day tickets that boosts and enhances the attraction of the zig hook bait. After leaving the zigs out for a little which I recast to a different area and then reset the bobbins bow string tight. Usually on this specific reservoir I wouldn’t use bowstring tight lines mainly as slack as I can get but if the fish are up in the layers, I don’t need to worry too much about line concealment.
One of my "Go Anywhere" Bottom Bait Presentations.
            The day rolled on slowly, I was watching the water like a hawk in between recording a video to coincide with this blog which will be following very soon. I didn’t see any tell-tale evidence of fish moving in front of me and very unusually no line bits from the tight lines? I thought that the fish may be sat dormant in one of the corners or sat somewhere out of the way of the angling pressure which in some circumstances wouldn’t surprise me. 
            I then got a message telling me the atmospheric pressure which was consistent throughout the day which was sitting at 1,000Pa, I was recommended to put on a bottom bait to see if there is anything lingering in the depths, to which I put out a bottom bait rig consisting of 15lb braid, Size 8 Nash Fang Twister, with a piece of silicone on the hook pinning in place a NV-R 14mm bottom bait with a 10mm Pink Shellfish Pop-up and a piece of shrink tube to act as a kicker to finish the rig off with the addition of a piece of putty to fully pin it to the bottom of the lake bed. This was cast just to the right of the swim with a small mesh bag of crushed NV-R boilies dipped in the glug to increase the attraction as with the zigs.
Another Brilliant Zig Rig Presentation Used to Great Affect
At Different Venues.
            This rod was put completely slack with the line lying fully on the bottom and was left for quite a while before re-casting over an hour later to a different spot. I had settled on a roving type method to try and search out the water in front of me at least trying to scrape a bite or two, after the rods were positioned back out on the lake bed I went and had a look in the swim 2 metres next door to me and to see a better angle of water, I watched for a few minutes with no signs of fish in the area. The wind was hacking down the lake in to peg 27 on the left from the car park so I cast into that general direction before deciding to move later on in the session.
            I decided to move a few pegs round into the wind and put 2 rods straight out and laid the rods on the deck. After the rain continuing pouring down on me with no brolly, I stood in hope for something to come from this drenching. The rain finally stopped and I stayed put in the swim for a little while longer and set up the stage stands to stay for another hour in the swim.
            Unfortunately it’s another point to the fish with no fish banked again. However, I’m still going to keep plugging away as I’ll get a result eventually and it may be back to my preferred way of tying choddys and putting them out and keep roving around the lake to search out the water a bit more, but on a better note I have a night planned to brace the cold weather.

Thanks for Reading! 

Ross.

Follow Me on Twitter - @Rosst93

No comments:

Post a Comment