Wednesday 21 November 2012

First Session on the Winter Venue

The View as I was Leaving the Previous Sunday!
Stunning! 

I finally made it to the lake at 8:00am, after a quick fuel stop as the tank was low. I am then greeted with the sight of an angler playing a very nice fish. I help the angler land the fish and have a chat; the fish are on the feed!!

I set up in a peg which has a lot of water at its disposal. A couple of pouches of boilies are dispatched along with both rods, one on a running rig using a 14mm Velocity Baits white chocolate malt pop up (perfect for winter if you ask me) tied up with a size 6 Nash Fang Twister and some D-Cam shrink tubing. The other rod I chose to use a Choddy with a Velocity Baits Pineapple Popup with a size 6 Fang Twister tied onto 15lb ESP Stiff Rigger, a perfect combination.

My Favorite Winter Baits!
I finished sorting my gear and waited for the lines to go slack. I unloaded the unhooking mat and other bits and pieces when I had noticed a sodden chair. My flask of warm tea had leaked so I’m perched on a bucket until my chair dries out. It isn’t very busy at the lake with only 4 anglers fishing.

Due to having Mondays off work, it is prime time to get on the bank and get some fishing   done although I’m fishing on a Tuesday! I’m going to leave the rods alone until around lunchtime, I’m doing this deliberately to let the swim settle down after casting to clip up. 

My Favorite Choddy Hooks!
After waking up in pitch black this morning, and tossing and turning in bed I was greeted with temperatures of 2.5 degrees. I sat in the sun and it was lovely, wearing my thermals was a good choice as it is only 4 degrees with a 9 mph North easterly wind. Hopefully the fish will be moving into the deeper water. It was uneventful in the last swim so I reeled in and went for a walk. Some water craft came in as I reckoned the fish were in the deeper water, two rigs were quickly dispatched. Just as I’m doing a bit for my short video, a fish decides to show itself barely 15 yards off the bank so the choddy was under armed out. 

          It’s just started raining to put it politely and to stay light as possible there is no brolly for me! I took a short walk along the bank whilst peering into the margins; I put in a few handfuls of bait in a marginal hole to see if I can interest some fish.
And so the rain began to pour! Brolly less so I could move about easier, I was getting a soaking, on my first session I have learnt a lot and hope that I can put something on the bank soon, oh how I miss summer fishing but it is my goal to try and bank a winter carp! The gear is barrowed back to the car and time to head home ready for work, oh the life of a delivery driver!

       Another thing to make things even more interesting, I will be recording a short video to make things better for you to picture the situations I am faced with, until next time, see you in my next blog. 







No comments:

Post a Comment