Monday 4 March 2013


Question and Answers Featuring Ian Russell.
A Lovely Looking Common There Ian!
            This time I have the pleasure of questioning Ian Russell from Avid about his fishing and what he does to put fish on the bank. This will hopefully benefit you, the reader and myself on what we can do to get the best of being on the bank, let’s be honest here, none of us like walking away without having caught a fish, but it’s one of anglings learning curves after all.  Before I start, Ian is someone who has helped me and provided information and tips on how to put fish on the bank. Back in 2008 I got chosen for what was the Korda Carp Clinic; I met Ian at Farlows in Buckinghamshire and fished for a 24 hour session. From that session I managed my first ever 20lb carp at 22lb 8oz, I still remember it to this very day. Onto the questions!
(Q.) Many anglers have their own way of approaching lakes, when you turn up a lake, be it a new lake or somewhere you fish all the time, what sort of process do you go through in order to get on the fish?
Firstly i would have researched the lake as much as is possible ie: Bailiffs info, friends info and of course website info. But all that aside you cannot beat having eyes on the water. So a good look around until you see signs of carp then set up... A swim with no Carp in is no good to any of us...
(Q.) I have followed your angling for many years now and I see you put some stunning fish on the bank. What is the most key thing any angler should do when their on the bank to help maximise their chances where ever they are fishing?
In all honesty mate literally keep your eyes and ears open and just use the tactics that you have most belief and confidence in . And never I mean never sit and be lazy, if fish are showing elsewhere and you can move onto them, then do so and fast before someone else does and you end up taking his pictures for him...
A Nice Mirror.
(Q.) I know a few people that have a “go anywhere rig” do you have one that you’d happily place on any lake you go to, or do you do something different, why?
I do have go anywhere Rigs but tend to address each situation as it arises. For although we all have one or two in mind it’s obvious that one rig will never suit all situations
(Q.) As some people may see from my previous blogs and most definitely my most recent blog, I love fishing over beds of bait, it keeps the fish in the area and gives you a good chance of holding more than one fish in front of you, is there any scenario that you wouldn’t put out a good bed of bait, why?
Yes mate the times I would not commit to a bed of bait would be on short trips or on a trip when I intend to keep moving , you see to fish over bait is a brilliant tactic it also makes anglers stay in an area where the fish aren’t in the hope that they will turn up
(Q.) I’ve really enjoyed my angling over the past few years; my highlight has to be banking a 23lb 10oz Mirror off the surface, days into spring. What is your highlight over the past year or so?
My Highlight has to be the capture of Spike from the Manor in Oxford at 44lb... You see I had always fished linear in a working situation and at last decided I would venture up on my time and try to nab a biggie ... And last November on a flat and calm night I caught good old Spike .... Awesome...
(Q.) One of my pet hates is bait boats, I don’t really feel the need to use one, as many anglers go, do you have any pet hates that really winds you up when you’re on the bank?
Yes I have >> Fulltime anglers ... You see although I fish for a job I rarely get more than a couple of nights of non-working fishing a month so realistically I get as much Me time as you do . So when I turn up to see full-timers rotating swims and spending months doing so, I feel it does not give the rest of us who actually have jobs a fair chance on the lake.. Get a Life. Get a Job....
What A Fish!
(Q.) Some of the more complicated rigs have managed to be taken out of my rig case; I stick to simple bottom bait presentations or pop-up presentations. Do you think using a complicated rig overcomplicates carp angling in general?
Yes a complicated rig I believe just confuses the Angler more than the Carp. If you have followed my angling you will know that I believe a Carp is a Carp not a scientist so it does not need a rig with lots of jangley bits hanging off of it to be successful....
(Q.) The Key for quick bites and consistent bites on a high stocked lakes is accuracy and correct bait placement. Little and often feeding is also another one. To get a good run of fish throughout a session for example at Thorpe Lea, how do you go about keeping a good stream of bites going throughout the day?
Just keep on topping the swim up it’s as simple as that. I see so many anglers spod all their bait out on arrival and after a couple of quick fish it all stops and they wonder why... Keep it little and often and they will keep coming..
(Q.) If there was one lake you would go back and fish again, which lake would it be and why?
I get to fish so many lakes, sometimes 2 or 3 different ones each week and to be fair they are all lovely places in their own rights but if I had to visit one Fishery all the time it would be Linear in Oxford . The amount of lakes and the variety it offers is incredible...
A Good Seperation From the Bend of the
Hook to the Hookbait is One of Ians Preferred
Tactics.
(Q.) I have seen in recent years you have caught a good number of fish of different sizes, what is your favourite pattern of hook that you have a lot of trust in?
As earlier stated no one rig can cover all situations... However for most of the situations I find myself in I will use a longshank hook with a line aligner set up and a re-set ring on the shank...
(Q.) What is your favourite rig presentation to use wherever you fish?
See question above ^
(Q.) Each angler has a personal preference on baits, whether it is particles or boilies, which is your preference that has caught fish for you?
If you want to be consistent with larger Carp either Boillies or Tiger Nuts ... They love em...
(Q.) What is the one main thing that you get out of angling?
I get so much pleasure from my angling and realise that I am a truly lucky chap to have the job I’m in... Thank you Avid....
            Ian, it has been a pleasure having you on this Q&A session, being an angler that has taught me the ropes early on and putting them into good affect, thanks for taking the time to complete the questions, all the best in your angling.

Thank You for Reading!

Ross

Follow Me On Twitter - @Rosst93
Alternatively, get  across to www.catch-and-release1.com and have a look at a few top class anglers and have a look at my angling profile to see a bit about what I do and what I get up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment